The Magnolia Park community is located east of Downtown Houston, south of the Brays Bayou and Buffalo Bayou junction, and west of Brady's Island. It was founded before 1825 on the eastern stretches of the Buffalo Bayou in present-day Harris County, Texas. In 1926, Harrisburg was annexed into the city of Houston.
In 1835, the General Council of Texas, a provisional government of Texas, made Harrisburg its capital. On April 16, 1836 during the Texas Revolution, almost all of Harrisburg was burned by the forces of Antonio López de Santa Anna. After the Texas Revolution ended, the city of Houston was founded just west of Harrisburg and was named county seat of Harrisburg (later shortened to Harris) County and capital of the Republic of Texas.
In 1890 Magnolia Park was laid out on a 1,374-acre (556 ha) site on Harrisburg Road across Brays Bayou from Harrisburg and 7 miles (11 km) downstream from Houston. The plot was owned by Thomas M. Brady, and the community was named for the 3,750 magnolias planted by developers. The Magnolia Park community was organized in 1909. The city incorporated in 1913.
Magnolia Park originally had non-Hispanic White Americans and Mexican-Americans, from South Texas who started to settle in Magnolia Park in 1911. Many Mexicans fleeing the Mexican Revolution settled in Magnolia Park.
Magnolia Park was incorporated as an independent municipality in 1909 and was annexed by Houston in October 1926. In the decades that followed, Magnolia Park grew to become one of Houston’s largest Mexican-American communities. The Hispanic heritage of the area is well illustrated by the Hidalgo Park kiosk and the Sociedad Mutualista Benito Juarez Hall, which was the subject of earlier GHPA efforts to secure its preservation. Hidalgo Park and the Houston Ship Channel are both evidence of Brady’s grand vision for Houston.
Magnolia Park/Pineview Place Civic Club
Greater Magnolia-Park/Pineview Place Civic Club consists of four major subdivisions namely, Magnolia Park, Pineview Place, Central and East Park located in the east part of Houston. The area is Houston’s oldest Hispanic community since the founding of the City of Harrisburg, later annexed by Houston in 1926. Today, the area is culturally diverse beginning to thrive as Houston continues to grow.
The civic club organized in 1997 to promote the well-being of its residents and create a cleaner, safer and friendly place to live. Residents are invited to join and dialogue with each other to achieve the goals.
The civic club actively participates in many events throughout the year to better our community and invites all residents and business owners to help in our efforts by volunteering or donating with supplies to accomplish our goals.
Volunteers, Donations and Projects/Achievements - completed in the community
* Hosts of the annual National Night Out: 2009- through 2016.
* In 2013 the civic club demolished a garage, had a wheelchair ramp built for a resident in need, five houses painted, the community park upgraded with a new playground, and two clean up events.
*In collaboration with the University of Houston, School of Architecture, walkways painted to liven the grounds.
*In 2013 and 2014 the civic club participated in the annual Cesar Chavez Festival.
* In 2015, the local civic club members along with Center Point Energy and the Greater East End Management District and the Open Door Mission volunteers, planted 100 trees along Terminal Street; beautifying Magnolia Park. The civic club and volunteers from Denver Harbor completed a Magnolia Roots [community garden] clean-up / replanting project.
* Celebrated in 2014, 2015 and 2016, Dia de los Muertos Block Party in conjunction with the East End Collaborative..
* The East End [GREEN LIGHT RAIL] Line begins service into the East End.in mid-December 2016. http://www.gometrorail.org/clients/2491/587150.pdf
* Membership drive in East Park took place in August inviting residents to join and provide input in their civic club.
Meeting Place and Time
The Magnolia Park/Pineview Place Civic Club meets at the Magnolia Multi-Service Center located at 7037 Capital Street ., Houston, Texas 77011, each second Monday of the month at 6pm.
Las asambleas se llevan a cabo en Español e Inglés.. Le invita los residentes a participar y llegar ser activo en las mejoras de nuestra área.
Civic Club Boundaries
The Greater Magnolia Park/Pineview Place Civic Club (GMPPCC) is bounded by Avenue W/J.W. Peavy Dr. on the north; Terminal St./Navigation / Wayside on the west; Houston Ship Channel on the east; and Brays Bayou / Mason Park bridge on the south.